Thursday, April 21, 2005

Safe & Sound In Meulaboh

April 21, 2005 (2:17pm) Meulaboh, Sumatra - Report submitted by Joe Hurston

Cindy and the rest of the Air Mobile Team arrived safely home! Thank the Lord!!

I left on schedule for Meulaboh (MBO). As the Twin-Otter (airplane) touched down on the damaged runway and made a quick stop, I knew the drive into downtown MBO would be difficult. As we drove by the prison, the thought of no survivors hit me. Each inmate, no matter what the crime, received the death sentence delivered by the tsunami. The idea of being behind bars, less than a quarter mile from the ocean is terrible. Of course every prisoner perished as did the guards/staff/visitors.

Rebuilding is slow. Small houses (mostly shacks) are popping up made out of the debris wood and old tin. Many, many tents. This area is still shaking. There have been heavy rains. You can see the discouragement and despair everywhere. Yet, these precious people always manage to smile. I've learned a few Indonesian words. It's nice to be able to communicate.

Tomorrow I leave for Simeulue (I had been misspelling it). It's a small island north of Nias. It had a small quake yesterday. The U.N. has put me up and yes, they do have internet, thus this blog. We are very excited about the fact that the U.N. is interested in the Vortex Voyager TM. The idea that "First Responders" world-wide would have the ability to purify water immediately after a disaster is very rewarding. The Lord cares for people and sees every suffering one. We can do something to relieve that suffering. That's being obedient to Jesus.

Later this afternoon I'll meet with the Samaritan Purse Rep. After the tsunami, Air Mobile donated a Vortex Voyager TM to them. I have some upgrade modifications that will make their unit work better. It's amazing that we can communicate as well as we do. We've been successful in upgrading many of the units that we brought in last time. It's good to meet with the workers. So many good people are over here. I count myself so blessed to be here! The U.N. staff has been very courteous and kind to me. God Bless them!

I'll probably get another blog off tomorrow morning before departure. I know I thank you all for your prayer each time, but I can't tell you what it means to know that people are praying for us. THANK YOU again.

Joe

No comments: